Google+ Followers

Sunday, February 15, 2015

That 70s Look! Sewing Retro Tube Fashions And Garments Using A Serger

We live in wonderful time where we can wear whatever era and type of fashion we would like to! We can even mix different types of fashions and make a one of a kind fashion statement of our own. That is the beauty of sewing, we can make anything we want to the way we want it. My observations are that past eras such as the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s clothing fashions are making a comeback with a different flare that is more suitable to the present time.

One of the fashions I still love today are "Tube Fashions." Tube Fashions are straight skirts, tube tops, straight jumpsuits, or straight dresses without a flared skirt.  They are simple, fast, and easy to sew and to wear! Most of these garments do not require fasteners such as zippers, buttons, or snaps. Some straight skirts on the other hand may require a zipper and button fastener depending on how it is made.

I like the Retro Tube Fashion Jumpsuits! They are made from cotton types, challis, jersey, silk types, polyester types, or linen types.  I wore them alot in the 70s as a teen. They are so comfortable and can be sewn with any print of fabric of your choice. I liked going to parties wearing a long Tube Jumpsuit. It can look like a long dress, but is actually a pant legged jumpsuit. The Tube Jumpsuit can be worn with a tied sash or a belt around the waist. I am presently sewing myself a long and short Tube Jumpsuit for the summer season. My notions are thread, fabric, and elastic for the waist and that's it! I am sewing Simplicity Pattern 1355 which you can purchase here. This pattern comes in multiple sizes so you can fit your jumpsuit any way you want to.  I used stretch cotton and light weight jersey for the jumpsuits for the summer season.

They are sewing up fast since I have an industrial sewing machine and a serger. The serger cuts and sews the seams at the same time which gives the inside of my garments a store bought appearance with it's finished seams. Finished seams are seams that have been cut and sewn with a stitch to keep the raw edges of the seam from raveling.

 Sergers are much easier to come by than they used to be, and are reasonable in price than they were thirty years ago. Sergers are a common household piece of sewing equipment for the home seamstress during this time. Not only do they finish raw seams as they are sewn, but if you are sewing stretch knits, it will sew the stretch knit with a stretch stitch. Sergers sew at an accelerated speed than a conventional sewing machine enabling you to complete your garments in a matter of 1 to 4 hours depending on what type of garment you are sewing. The serger is excellent for stretch knits with it's stretch stitch and so convenient to use without much of an adjustment to use the stretch stitch. A serger enables you to sew a rolled hem for your garments which is a plus in saving you time in your sewing. You can find a quality serger here.

For my Tube Jumpsuits I finished the raw edge of my interfacings with the serger and all of my seams are finished seams from using the serger.  A serger is the perfect machine to use with my Tube Jumpsuits! When I wash my Tube Jumpsuits the seams will not fray, ravel, or become ragged since they are finished seams. French seams also prevent seams from raveling as well, but require more in sewing time if someone would like to use a french seam. French seams are a neat and very professional finish to sewing seams of any garment. A French Seam is most commonly used with formals and wedding dresses.

If a serger is not available, then a simple zig-zag stitch to finish the raw edge of the seams can be used too.  I used a zig-zag stitch for my seams many years before I had a serger. It is true no one will see the inside of our garments, but knowing our garment was made with perfection both on the inside and the outside is a feeling of great satisfaction as well as quality to our garments. How will you be sewing the seams on your jumpsuit/s?

No comments:

Post a Comment